‘No reason’ why ban on naming Kevin Lenny attacker should remain, state tells court

The state told reporters if an order protecting the anonymity of a man known as YZ — who was sentenced to 30 years in prison for kidnapping and torturing Quinn Industrial Holdings director Kevin Renney — was lifted “as soon as possible” , which would be in “everyone’s interest”. Court of Appeal on Friday.

“YZ” inflicted most of the serious injuries to Mr Lunney, including stab wounds to the face and torso after he was kidnapped from his home in Co Fermanagh on September 17, 2019, but his identity has been anonymised as he will face charges against him separate court at the beginning

Although the Central Criminal Court case ended before the Lunney trial began in the Special Criminal Court, YZ’s lawyers successfully argued that the naming ban should be preserved as their client also faces trials in several criminal circuits.

Sentenced

On 20 December last year, the Lunney trial ended with Judge Tony Hunt sentenced to 30 years in prison for the torture and false imprisonment of Mr Lunney.

He pleaded not guilty to false imprisonment and intentionally causing grievous harm to Mr Lunney on September 17, 2019 at Drumbrade, Ballina, Co Cavan.

Two co-defendants – Alan O’Brien, 40, of Shermalier Road, East Wall, Dublin, and Darren Redmond, 27, of Caledon Road, East Wall, Dublin, were convicted separately of the offences.

The order preventing YZ’s identity from being made public was due to end on the day Judge Hunt sentenced the trio.

However, on an application to the High Court by YZ’s barrister Michael O’Higgins SC, Justice Charles Meehan extended it until January 18.

Anonymity order

The Attorney General (DPP) opposed the application to extend the anonymity order, saying the Lunney lawsuit was over and YZ should be named “in the normal way”.

On Friday, Sean Guerin SC, representing the DPP, told the appeals court that circuit court proceedings against YZ were unlikely to begin anytime soon, so there was no reason not to identify him.

Ireland

Three men convicted in Kevin Lenny case jailed…

Mr Guerin informed Judge George Birmingham, President of the Court, that YZ was involved in a number of suits in different courts, the first of which was due to begin in July.

Mr Guerin added that other cases were not expected to begin “this calendar year”.

When it comes to how long it will take for all cases against YZ to be finalized, lawyers say it’s best to lift the anonymity order “as soon as possible.”

Justice Birmingham agreed to hear the case again next Friday, January 21, after asking for further comments from both sides.

Source link

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


*